All adults should have an Enduring Power of Attorney and an Advance Care Directive.

Your spouse and/or children do not automatically have the right to make financial and legal decisions on your behalf if you lose mental capacity, become incapacitated for any length of time or you are just having that well-earned overseas holiday and something unexpected happens. Let us help you get peace of mind knowing that should anything happen, everything is in place so that the people you know and trust are taking care of things. Please talk to one of our caring staff to ensure that you are well prepared for any eventuality.

Enduring Power Of Attorney

An Enduring Power of Attorney is a separate document to your Will and gives a person or persons you appoint the power to act on your behalf. They are called your “Attorney” and this is a different role to your “Executor” (see our Wills section on the role of your Executor).

When Should I Have An Enduring Power Of Attorney?
What Can My Attorney Do?
When Can It Be Used?
How Many People Should I Appoint?

Advance Care Directives

An Advance Care Directive allows you to appoint one or more “Substitute Decision-Makers” who will have the power to make health and lifestyle type decisions on your behalf should you lose your mental capacity (as determined by a health professional). The Substitute Decision-Maker can only act on your behalf if you lose your mental capacity and not before so your wishes cannot be over ridden whilst you still have the ability to make your own decisions. This document is a separate document to your Will or Enduring Power of Attorney.

What About Enduring Powers Of Guardianship?
How Many Substitute Decisions Makes Can I Name?
What Types Of Decisions May Need To Be Made?
What If I Do Not Have Anyone I Can Nominate To Make Decisions?

Key People for Powers of Attorney & Advance Care Directives